For a while now, I’ve had this theory that monochromatic paintings are among the most underrated elements of decor one might add to their living space. After compiling some evidence and testing it against my hypothesis, I feel confident in making a case for venturing to the dark side.
IT’S BOLD: Boldness comes in many forms, but boldness in the form of simplicity is as inviting as it is rare.
2. PROLONGED GRATIFICATION: It’s like when you get a new phone case or cocktail dress with a bright print or text, and then a month later you wish you just got the black one.
3. FIND DEEPER MEANING: Sometimes art that says the least on the surface, speaks volumes deep down.
4. HIGH CONTRAST EQUALS HIGH REWARD: “To be successful, a room must contain the element of contrast in forms, as well as colors and textures.” — Michael Taylor, The Finest Rooms
5. GET MORE VALUE (WITH LESS EFFORT) THAN WALLPAPER OR WALL PAINT: The trendy black accent wall, but make it art.
6. KEEP IT CLEAN: There’s something about clean, geometric lines that emanates reason, stability, and sophistication. I ended up going down a very interesting rabbit hole on the internet as to why this is, but I’ll spare you the details and let you decide for yourself.
7. GET THE EDGE: Much like a sharp leather jacket or a pair of stiletto boots, dark, monochromatic art strikes the perfect balance between classical and avant-garde.